Study in Malaysia
Malaysia is located in Southeast Asia. It is a federal constitutional monarchy. It consists of thirteen states and three federal territories. With captivating architecture, incredible natural attractions and rich culture, Malaysia attracts people from all over the world. Though most of them may visit the country as travelers, there are many who have chosen this beautiful country as a study destination.
The system and structure of tertiary education is run by the country’s Ministry of Education. Individuals who choose to study in Malaysia for higher education can take certificate, diploma, undergraduate or postgraduate programs.
Malaysia has undergone a process of restructuring its educational policies and is successful in meeting the requirements of students. The government pursued a program of creating a fully developed knowledge based economy. It has collaborated with foreign higher educational institutions and converted Malaysia into a regional hub of higher education, able to meet the demands of changing market economies.
One of the most important factors, if not the most important, is the quality of education the country’s institutions can provide. Foreign institutions such as the University of Nottingham, Monash University, and the University of Reading have established international branch campuses in the country. A number of local universities are highly ranked in the QS World University Rankings, and there are many opportunities with the variety and number of courses and programs available.
Malaysia's international education sector has grown tremendously in the last decade and the country is fast becoming a centre of educational excellence in South East Asia. Malaysia is currently the world's 11th most preferred study abroad destination. According to UNESCO, Malaysia has captured a 2% market share of international students in the fast growing private education sector. Malaysia currently has more than 80,000 international students from more than 100 countries. International students enjoy a safe and comfortable living environment with 21st century amenities, good healthcare and medical facilities, excellent educational institutions, and world-class recreational and sports facilities. Malaysia offers international students many options of quality education programmes at an affordable cost.
Universities & Colleges in Malaysia
International students are enrolled in a wide range of disciplines at every level of education, including short-term and professional courses, diplomas, bachelor degrees and other post-graduate studies such as masters degrees right through to doctoral degrees. They have a choice of studying in private schools, international schools, colleges, private universities, foreign universities branch campus and public universities
Top Malaysian universities offer a wide ranging collage of courses from Accounting and Agriculture to clinical courses in Medicine and Pharmacy. These are available to both domestic and international students. Business, Healthcare and Engineering are some of the popular choices for international students.
- AIMST University
- Al-Madinah International University
- Asia Pacific University College of Technology & Innovation (UCTI)
- Binary University College of Management & Entrepreneurship
- Curtin University of Technology Sarawak Campus
- Cyberjaya University College of Medical Sciences
- Help University College
- Industrial University of Selangor
- International Centre for Education in Islamic Finance
- International Islamic University Malaysia
- International Medical University
- International University College of Technology Twintech
- Kuala Lumpur Infrastructure University College.
- Limkokwing University of Creative Technology
- Malaysia Theological Seminary
- Multimedia University
- National University of Malaysia
- Open University of Malaysia
- Penang Medical College
- Sunway University of College
- Swinburne University of technology Sarawak Campus
- Taylor’s University College
- Tunku Abdul Rahman University
- UCSI University
- Universiti Darul Iman Malaysia
- Universiti Malaysia Kelantan
- University of Malaysia Pahang
- University of Malaysia Perlis
- Universiti Malaysia Sabah
- Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
- Universiti Malaysia Terengganu
- Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris
- Universiti Putra Malaysia
- Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia
- Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
- Universiti Teknologi MARA
- Universiti Teknologi Petronas
- Universiti Tenaga Nasional
- Universiti Tun Abdul Razak
- Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia
- Universiti Utara Malaysia
- University of Kuala Lumpur
- University of Malaya
- University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus
- Wawasan Open University
Malaysia Education Costs
Are you thinking of studying in Malaysia? If yes, then you will be interested in knowing about the education costs in Malaysia. Take a look at the cost of higher education in Malaysia to get an idea.
Undergraduate Bachelor Degree - US $ 2,000 to US $ 6,000
Postgraduate Masters Degree - US $ 2,000 to US $ 6,000
Average cost of Living:
US $ 6,000 per annum
The average monthly rental for a single room on a twin-sharing basis could be between US $ 100 and US $ 150, depending on the area, the type of accommodation and the facilities available.
Below are the required documents for admission in Malaysia.
- Educational Documents (SSC/O Levels and Onwards)
- 5.5, 6 bands in IELTS (For students applying for Bachelor studies)
- 6, 6.5 bands in IELTS (For students applying for Masters and Phd studies)
- Experience certificates if any
- Statement of Purpose (SOP) or Research Proposal
- 6 Pictures (Blue/White Background)
- Reference Letters from Lecturers/Teachers of Last College/University Attended
What are the general entry requirements for Universities?
Students need to have cleared TOEFL/IELTS test for English language. Entry requirements differ from Universities and institutes the counselors at O-TEC will be able to guide you according to your profile.
When should I start the application process?
It is advisable to start an application process minimum of 3 months in advance.
What are the possibilities of getting a scholarship? How do I apply for them?
There are various factors on which a university decides to who the scholarships should be granted. Your academic performance, your involvement in co-curricular activities, sports, etc. Contact O-TEC for more information about your eligibility.
When are the intakes in Malaysia?
There are three intakes for Admissions in Malaysian Universities – it is the month of January, May and September. You should put your application prior 3 months to the commencement of the course.
Can students work part time during studies in Malaysia ?
No. Students cannot work part time during studies in Malaysia.